Summer is in full swing, and there is an abundance of amazing veggies this season! Zucchini and corn can be found just about anywhere, and the following recipe is a great use for this summer crop. Be sure to purchase local, organic summer squash and corn – ideally at your local farmers market! Serve with a simple salad of greens, roasted beets and walnuts. Or, for another corn and summer squash recipe, scroll all the way down:) Enjoy!
Pasta with Summer Squash and Sweet Corn
1 pound dried pasta (I prefer gluten free, rice pasta like Tinkyada Pasta Joy)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 yellow squash, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 1/2 cups corn kernels (from 5 ears of corn)
3 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
3 garlic cloves
1/4 jalepeno chile, minced
1/2 cup chicken stock (or vegetable)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Parmesan cheese to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions and drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add squashes, and cook until softened and light gold, about 7 minutes. Add corn, scallions, garlic, jalepeno, stock, and 2 tablespoons butter. Season with salt and pepper, and cook until corn is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add pasta, reserved cooking liquid, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the vegetable mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until pasta is well coated, about 3 minutes. Garnish with scallions and parmesan cheese.
Summer Squash and Sweet Corn Saute
2-3 yellow summer squash and/or zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, diced
1 small bunch of fresh basil, chopped
1 ear of fresh corn kernels
Parmesan to taste
- Using a medium saute pan, heat oil and garlic over medium heat for one minute.
- Add squash and corn, saute until almost cooked through- less than 5 minutes.
- Add basil, and continue to cook for one more minute, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat, and add parmesan to taste.