In the Chinese calendar, spring is considered the beginning of the year. Spring is the season of rebirth and mobilizing energy, and it corresponds with the liver. In order to create and manifest our intentions for the year with clarity and focus, we must detox our body, mind, and spirit. As we move from winter into spring, you might be feeling stuck in the transition and in need of some ways to move your body into the energetically active state of spring. Here are five easy recommendations for putting a little more spring in your step:
1) Drink water. Water is the ultimate detox food. Adding lemon to the water will add flavor and is a detoxifier also, with many benefits. It’s arguably the most important and the easiest way to cleanse and purify your body.
2) Treat yourself with a massage. In addition to the many benefits that massage offers, massage also aides your body in the elimination of toxins and simply makes you feel amazing.
3) Schedule an acupuncture treatment. The base of Chinese medicine is to bring balance between yin and yang. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), when yin and yang are balanced, they work together with the natural flow of qi (energy) to help the body achieve and maintain health. Chinese medicine teaches that the liver is the organ that is most susceptible to congestion and when congested throws the body into disharmony.
4) Eat local, organic, seasonal foods. For more information, see my past blogs
5) Enjoy twisting poses in yoga. Twisting poses are a natural and effective way to detoxify the organs and glands, thereby boosting the health of the whole body. Attend a yoga class at Namaste in Truckee, or visit Yoga Journal for home instructions.
Spring forward with your health, and start off your cleanse with a massage or acupuncture treatment. I’m available Tuesday- Thursday and Saturday mornings in Truckee.